8 Steps to Getting Real with Cancer
Empowering newly-diagnosed patients and those who love them
Like a thief, cancer strikes and leaves people feeling stunned, confused, and powerless. Initially a sense of foreboding looms and options seem or may even be limited. How can patients find the power to be proactive, effective, and strong?
8 Steps to Getting Real with Cancer is a practical step-by-step guide for newly-diagnosed cancer patients and those who love them. Empowerment is the key theme throughout this book as Marianne McDonough, a breast cancer survivor, addresses the critical first weeks following diagnosis when patients suddenly face wrenching decisions, intense stress, and their own mortality.
The book is divided into 8 Steps that coincide with the hard questions patients ask themselves, such as:
• What do I know about cancer and believe to be true about myself as a cancer patient?
• How shall I interact with others, especially my family, friends, and medical providers?
• How can I select the best treatment protocol?
• How do I feel about possibly dying?
• Where is God in all of this?
• What am I afraid of?
• How do I deal with the stress?
• Do I dare hope for a future?